Corneal Allogenic Intrastromal Ring Segments (CAIRS)
Corneal Allogenic Intrastromal Ring Segments (CAIRS) is an innovative treatment option for corneal ectasia, a condition characterized by a bulging and irregularly shaped cornea. CAIRS involves the placement of donor corneal tissue segments within the stroma of the patient’s cornea. These allogenic ring segments help reshape the cornea, reducing its irregular curvature and improving visual acuity. CAIRS offers a minimally invasive alternative to more invasive treatments such as corneal transplantation, providing patients with an avenue for visual improvement and stabilization of corneal ectasia.
- An arc-shaped segment of donor corneal tissue used to flatten a weak, bulging cornea
- For patients whose vision has deteriorated in their glasses and contacts
- Ideal for patients 18 and up with stable Keratoconus
- May need to be combined with other interventions, such as Corneal Cross-Linking (CXL) for the best outcome
- The goal is to improve vision and reduce the dependence on glasses & contacts
- One eye treated at a time, usually separated by weeks or months
- Slower visual recovery, can drive and return to work after 1 week
Step 1: Consultation
Meet with our experienced team and see what treatment option is right for you. Consultations last about an hour and a half. Your eyes will be dilated. Bring your sunglasses! Contacts must be removed 3 full days before your appointment.
Step 2: Treatment
Our friendly staff and experienced doctors help you through your treatment and get you seeing more clearly in no time, less than 15 minutes to be exact. Expect to be in our office for 1.5 hours on treatment day. You will need a driver.
Step 3: Enjoy Freedom!
Follow-up schedules vary depending on the procedure type, but in general, you can expect to be seen in-office 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, and 3 months after your treatment. Return to your optometrist for annual exams after all follow-up visits.
Step 4. Lifetime Care
All our services come with a lifetime guarantee. In the rare occurrence that you need an adjustment, we provide free vision enhancements for life.*